In order to apply for a civil wedding please submit the below documents at least 20 days prior to the wedding day
- Valid Passport or ID for European citizens
- Copy of certificate of birth translated in English or Greek from official authority of his/her country or from the Press and Information Office of the Republic of Cyprus.
- Certificate of marital status, that is to say if he/she is unmarried, divorced or widowed, issued by an official authority of his/her country.
- The above certificate is valid for 6 months from date of issue and it should be translated in Greek or English.
- Also, the certificate of marital status should be legalised. The best form of legalisation is with Apostille seal, if their country has signed the “Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents, of 5 October 1961”. In opposite case, it will be required that he/she resorts to an official authority of his/her country for the necessary legalisation.
- Original of sworn affidavit at any court of law within the Republic of Cyprus by each person stating their present marital status, i.e. that he/she is unmarried, divorced or widowed and the name of the person he/she wishes to marry. In the event of divorce or death of spouse, he/she has to declare that afterwards the divorce or spouse death no other marriage has taken place. The affidavit is valid for one month from the day of issue.
- The original divorce document, in the case of divorced person stating that the divorce is final and irrevocable duly signed and stamped and officially translated in Greek or English either by the Press and Information Office of Cyprus or from an official authority of his/her country. The original divorce document and the official translation should be submitted together.
- Certificate of death of spouse, in the event that he/she was married but their spouse has died. The certificate should be officially translated in Greek or English either by the Press and Information Office of Cyprus or from an official authority of his/her country. The original document and the official translation should be submitted together.
Please note that the couple has to present themselves to the Town Hall on the morning of the Wedding Day.